13 Great Biz Ideas for Kids
Starting a small business is a fantastic learning experience for child. They get to experiment with planning, production, advertising, sales and customer service in their simplest form. The self-confidence they will develop and the lessons they’ll learn can shape the person they will become.
My 12-year old daughter came up with the idea to make scented bath-bombs and sell them to her friends on Instagram.
She researched recipes and found ingredients to order online. We did a very simple spreadsheet to figure out her cost per item.
Next she came up with a price that would make her money and was cheaper than what she saw in stores. Then she did a couple of videos that showed her product fizzing in a glass to use as advertisements to her friends on Instagram.
She’s earned some money and had fun doing it. I’m sure this small success will give her confidence in her next (bigger) idea. Which is what it’s really all about.
Here are 13 business ideas that are great for kids:
- Dog walking
- Lemonade stand
- Birthday party planner
- Birthday party face painter
- Birthday party helper
- Car washing
- Gift wrapper
- Homework helper
- Dog poop clean up/cat box cleaner
- Leaf raking
- Snow shoveling
- Plant watering
Encourage them to be creative and come up with their own ideas.
Here are a few things to discuss with them before they start:
- The supplies they will need and their costs – make a list
- How they are going to pay those up front costs (for example, are you loaning it to them or they are using their savings)
- How are they going to find customers
- How much is appropriate to charge
- The kinds of things they should say to customers (and what not to say)
- To thank their customers afterward
- Make sure they understand that after they make a sale they must deduct their costs to determine how much they earned